Thursday, January 10, 2013

When I know "who I am"

Nothing can be more important than personally knowing the answer for the question "who I am". Who am I? I am a Chinese came to America three years ago; I am a Phd student studying in mass communication who is still struggling between different research paradigms. I am a typical chinese person who rarely had a chance to explore "who I am"........

I still can remember how nervous I was when I first knew that I was assigned to teach last semester. Without any previous experience in teaching as an international student, it is anything but an exciting news. However, last semester was a milestone in my life. Why? Because it provided me with a chance to know "who I am". At least, my last semester teaching experience really helped me personally know that I am a chinese girl who likes and enjoy teaching! Therefore, I am considering maybe I can be a teacher in the future.....

I take this class because it is one of the requirement of the teaching certificate program which I think can help build up my teaching career. Besides that, as a teacher, I think I definitely need to have the capacity to integrate those new technology into my teaching process so as to facilitate effective learning among the youth. As a mass media scholar, I clearly know how significant the role is that those new communication technologies are playing in our life. Especially among young people, new media is not only a tool but also part of their daily life. To creatively engage these tech-savvy students into a class requires an advanced understanding of how those new tech. can be used for a teaching purpose.

I definitely believe that this course is gonna blow my mind because I am a conservative teacher who only know how to use PPT!! What a shame.... >.<

2 comments:

  1. Not a shame at all, Denise! It is great to have you in class to share your perspectives on teaching, particularly teaching with technology! I hope we can help expand your knowledge of the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dr. Clouser. I really enjoy the class. :-)

      Delete